Royal Burgh of Burntisland
“God gave the hills for protection”
Burntisland town and harbour belonged from ancient times to Dunfermline Abbey.It was created a Royal Burgh by King James V in 1541.
The ship refers to the town’s long history as a seaport and its connection in more modern times with shipbuilding.
Two mottoes were allowed : “Portus Gratiae” ( or “Portus Salutis”) was the name given to the place by the Romans because of its safe harbour; the other motto (also in Latin) ” god gave the hills for protection” was suggested by Mr A Wishart, W.S. of Edinburgh, who was a native of Burntisland parish and an authority on its history.The hills referred to in the motto are Dunearn and The Binn, which guard the town to the north.