LESLIE, a parish and manufacturing town, in the district of Kirkcaldy, county of Fife; 9 miles (N. by W.) from Kirkcaldy, and 20 (N.) from Edinburgh. This place is by some writers supposed to have derived its name from the Gaelic Lis, a garden, or richly-cultivated spot, and from its situation on the river Leven. The church situated in the centre of the parish, is a neat and substantial edifice, with aspire, erected in 1820, and adapted for a congregation of nearly 1000 persons. There are places of worship for members of the Free Church and United Secession.
Back to Fife Parish Map