Police Burgh of Newport on Tay
“Dei Flumen Nobis Lumen”
“The river of God is a light to us”
Newport on Tay, which owes its existence to the ancient ferries, which plied from there to Dundee, became a Police Burgh in 1887.
The arms resemble the device on the 1892 Burgh seal but most of the detail has been altered.
The ship and the sea recall that Newport was at the southern end of the ferry of Seamylines, a ferry that ran for centuries until the opening of the Tay Road Bridge in 1966.
The ship bears on its sail the arms of Nairne of Sandford (now St Fort) while the lion with the cross in the stern comes from the arms of Berry of Tayfield; these two families have very close associations with the town.