Police Burgh of Leven
“Grip Fame” is a variant of the Leslie one.
Leven was created a Burgh of Barony in 1609 by George Gladstanes, Archbishop of St Andrews, in favour of George Lauder of Bass.
It became a police Burgh in 1867.
The arms retain the saltire pattern of the device on the old Burgh seal, which was designed by a local clergyman, the Rev. A.T.Grant.
The gold field and black bend sinister recall the family of Christie of Durie and the golden crescents thereon Durie of that Ilk; both these families have a long association with the town.
The blue bend Dexter with its golden buckles comes from the Leslie arms and refers to the Burgh’s connection with that family and in particular with Alexander Leslie, the famous Covenanting General, who was created Earl of Leven in 1641.
The mitre is for the arch episcopal founder of the Burgh, the red griffin’s head for Lauder of Bass, and the galley for Leven’ s importance as a seaport.