LEUCHARS, a parish, in the district of St. Andrew’s, county of Fife; containing the village of Balmullo, 1901 inhabitants, 7½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Cupar. This place appears to have derived its name, signifying in the Gaelic language “a marshy flat,” from some low grounds to the east and west of the village, which, previously to the draining of the lands, were covered with water during the greater part of the year. The church, situated in the village, is a highly-interesting structure, and appears to have been erected at different periods, exhibiting beautiful specimens of the ancient and later styles of Norman architecture, with additions of a much more recent character. It is adapted for a congregation of nearly 900 persons. There is a place of worship for members of the Free Church, and in the village of Balmullo is one for a congregation of the Original Secession.