KIRKCALDY, a royal burgh, a sea-port, and parish, in the district of Kirkcaldy, county of Fife, 14 miles (E. by N.) from Dunfermline, and 10 (N. by E.) from Edinburgh. This place derives its name from an ancient church founded here by the Culdees. The town is situated on the north of the Frith of Forth, upon a narrow strip of level land at the base of a ridge of rising ground. The parish formerly included the chief part of that of Abbotshall, which was separated from it in the year 1650. The parish church, situated upon rising ground in the High-street, is a handsome structure in the later English style, erected in 1807, on the site of the ancient building, which had fallen into a state of dilapidation. A church to which a quoad sacra district was annexed was erected near the east end of the town; it is called East Port Church, and has 840 sittings. There are also places of worship for members of the Free Church, the United Secession, Episcopalians, Independents, Bereans, Original Burghers, and Scottish Baptists.