KINGHORN, a royal burgh and a parish, in the district of Kirkcaldy, county of Fife; containing the village of West Bridge, and the island of Inch-Keith, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Kirkcaldy, and 9 (N.) from Edinburgh. This place, at a very early period, was one of the residences of the Scottish kings. The town is situated on the shore of the Frith of Forth, directly opposite to the port of Leith, and on the great road from Edinburgh to Dundee. The parish church, which is near the old harbour, was rebuilt in 1774; it is a very plain structure, and contains 700 sittings. A church was built on the eastern boundary of the parish, bordering upon Abbotshall, to which a quoad sacra district was annexed, including portions of each of the two parishes. There are places of worship for members of the Free Church and the United Secession.
Back to Fife Parish Map