Parish of Elie

LIE, a¬†parish, and burgh of barony, in the district of St. Andrew’s, county of Fife, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Colinsburgh. This place is supposed to have derived its name from the marshy nature of the soil previously to the modern improvements in agriculture, and a portion of land bordering on the loch of Kilconquhar still retains that character. The church, which was substantially repaired in 1831, is a neat and well-arranged edifice, adapted for a congregation of 600 persons, and is situated in the centre of the village.

ELIE
Records Available 

Back to Fife Parish Map