CAMERON, a parish, in the district of St. Andrew’s, county of Fife, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from St. Andrew’s. This place, which formerly was included in the parish of St. Andrew’s, appears to have derived its name from the lands on part of which the church was erected on its separation, by act of parliament, in 1645. The church, situated nearly in the centre of the parish, and built in 1808, is adapted for 600 persons. There is a place of worship for the United Associate Synod.
This parish was anciently a part of the widely extended parish of St. Andrews. It became a separate and independent parish in 1645. The name of the parish was taken from the farm of Cameron upon which the manse and church were built. The number of families in the parish is 255. The average number of births for the last seven years is 26, of marriages 8, and of deaths 10. During the last three years there were 5 illegitimate births in the parish. There are one parochial school and two private schools within the parish, at Lawhead and Denhead.
About 4686 acres are under cultivation, 1767 acres are pasture on which the Fifeshire breed of cattle is raised, 476 acres are wooded, and 214 acres are waste-land. Grains of all kinds, potatoes, turnips, and hay grown. Coal, limestone, and other stones are quarried within in the parish. The nearest market-town is St. Andrews but there is a post-office in the parish. There are eight houses licensed to sell whiskey, and two where only beer is sold, which is more than are necessary for the convenience of the inhabitants. The fuel in use throughout the parish is coal.
The church is nearly in the center of the parish. It was built in 1808 and has seating for 495. There is one Burgher meeting-house situated on the border of the parish adjoining the parishes of Kilconquhar and Carnbee, where there is a considerable population at a great distance from their parish churches. The number of families of Dissenters is about 12.
The above extract is taken from the account written in January 1837.