The small village of Springfield lies at the edge of the Howe of Fife, to the south of the town of Cupar, Fife, Scotland. The origin of the community is thought to be from the linen industry in the 19th century. The Church of Scotland parish church was built in 1861 (and now shares a minister with nearby Ceres and Kemback). The church garden was originally intended to be a cemetery, but the high water table prevented this. The community is surrounded by fields; agriculture is still an important part of the economy of north east Fife (although few Springfield residents work in agriculture).
After World War II, a considerable number of council houses were built in the village – creating new communities in Crawley Crescent, Tarvit Terrace and several other streets. Many of these local authority-owned houses have since been bought by their former tenants. One of the largest local employers is Stratheden Hospital (a psychiatric hospital located between Springfield and Cupar). Springfield has a pub, shop, parish church, village hall, primary school and Springfield railway station on the Edinburgh to Aberdeen Line.
There are no images in this gallery.