Newburgh is a royal burgh of Fife, Scotland. It is situated on the Firth of Tay, 7 m. N.W. of Ladybank Junction alongside the Edinburgh to Aberdeen railway line (between Perth and Ladybank). Newburgh railway station closed in 1955 (pre-Beeching), and has never reopened in spite of local campaigns for its reinstatement. For some time, its industries chiefly consisted of the making of linen and floorcloth, malting and quarrying, and there were fisheries, especially of salmon. The harbour was used for the transshipment of the cargoes of Perth-bound vessels of over 200 tons. But most of these industries have now gone. A linoleum factory, owned by Courtaulds, which had been the town’s principal employer, closed in May 1980 after a large fire destroyed much of the building. After many years of lying derelict, the factory has since been completely demolished and cleared and its site is now a recreational waterfront.
[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”84″ gal_title=”Newburgh”]