Limekilns, a village in Fife, Scotland, lies on the shore of the Firth of Forth. Unlike the neighbouring village of Charlestown, Limekilns is an extremely old settlement dating back to the 14th century. The oldest building in the village is without doubt The King’s Cellar, a large and somewhat mysterious property whose existence can be traced back to 1362. It has served many different purposes throughout its long life, notably as a store house, school, library and chapel. It is currently employed as a Freemasons Lodge and is generally not open to the public.
The exact origins of the name Limekilns are unknown. Certainly lime was burned there in relatively small amounts in the early life of the village, though there was a much larger operation going on in the neighbouring village of Charlestown. The ruins of the massive kilns still exist today and are protected by the National Trust for Scotland.
Thanks to Alan Cairnie for all the postcards. One of the cards shows Alan’s family home, Oriel House in Academy Square.
There are no images in this gallery.