Charlestown (also known as Charlestown-on-Forth) is a town in Fife, Scotland on the north shore of the Firth of Forth. It is 1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) west of Limekilns, and 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) south-west of Dunfermline. Charlestown was established in 1770 by Charles Bruce, 5th Earl of Elgin. The planned village is laid out in the shape of a letter E for Elgin. It was established as a harbour town for the shipment of coal mined on Lord Elgin’s Fife estates, and for the production of lime. The harbour’s outer basin was built around 1840.
There are no images in this gallery.